Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) automatically configures the necessary settings when connecting a computer to the network. It allows you to more easily connect your computer to the University network from any participating UR location.
- No reconfiguration necessary – standard parameters are sent by the service to each PC automatically
- Ease of use – PCs and Macs do not have to be rebooted for the DHCP addressing to be in effect
- Simple to support – configuration for network administrators is standardized and flexible to the needs of those using the service
- Support for any operating system that supports DHCP, with client support focused on PC and Mac
- Capability, where required, to allocate reserved DHCP addresses for special needs devices