A steward leads the definition of business terms. A steward is primarily concerned with language and the meaning of data. Stewards are experts in their data area and use the data in their domain on a daily basis. Each data domain, sub-domain, or term has a steward.
Duties of a Steward
- Creates a clear and unambiguous definition of a term.
- Specifies the values that the term may take and the meaning of those values.
- Defines appropriate usage of the term.
- Defines data entry quality standards for recording of values of the term.
- Ensures consistent usage. The term has the same meaning where ever it is used.
- Identifies similar terms and documents how they differ from the term being identified.
- Oversees cleanup of errors in data that correspond to the term.
- Identifies unused terms and manages their deprecation.
- May delegate authority to others.
|Data Domain||Assigned Steward|
|Faculty||University Director, Institutional Research|
|Human Resources||Director, University Human Resource Management System|
|International||Associate Provost for Global Engagement|
|Organization||Public Information Coordinator, Office of University Communications|
|Sponsored Projects||Senior Information Analyst, Office of Research and Project Administration|
|Student Record||University Registrar|
|Student Account||University Bursar|
|Advancement||Associate Vice President, University Advancement|
|Space||Senior Information Analyst, Campus Planning, Design & Construction Management|