- What kind of files can be shared and previewed with Box?
- What is the size limit for files uploaded to Box?
- What are the browser and PC specifications for Box?
- How can I set a shared link or folder to be accessible to users outside of the University?
- What is the best way to upload large files or large quantities of files?
- What are the benefits of cloud services?
- Are alumni eligible for a UR Box account?
- How do I delete or suspend my UR Box account?
- Why is my connection to Box slow and unresponsive?
- How do I recover items I have deleted from my UR Box account?
- How do I transfer my files from Dropbox to Box?
- What is maintenance like for the Box Service?
- How is a user's Box access disabled?
- Can a user be allowed to continue access?
- What happens to Box content when an account is deactivated or deleted?
- Can I make my collaborators invisible to each other?
- Is there an accessibility mode for Box?
What is the size limit for files uploaded to Box?
The maximum individual file size is 15 GB.
What are the browser and PC specifications for Box?
Box specifications are listed on the Box Features and Specifications page.
What is the best way to upload large files or large quantities of files?
The Box web interface has a 30 minute timeout, so uploading large files or a large quantity of files may be better accomplished using an FTP client. Instructions for using an FTP client for Box are available in the Box Tutorials.
What are the benefits of cloud services?
Cloud services provide many benefits to the University of Rochester, such as modest institutional cost for high-quality services, and also enterprise-level data management, security, and uptime provided 24/7 by highly specialized teams dedicated solely to the service.
Are alumni eligible for a UR Box account?
No. Alumni are ineligible for a UR Box account but can create a free personal Box account associated with any email address other than their “@rochester.edu” email.
How do I delete or suspend my UR Box account?
Why is my connection to Box slow and unresponsive?
Box does not limit, throttle, cap, or shape upload bandwidth for individual files, but there may be factors that affect your upload speeds. You can test your connection to Box using the connection diagnostics test from your Box account in the Box web interface.
How do I recover items I have deleted from my UR Box account?
Items deleted from your UR Box account can be recovered for up to 30 days.
- Click on your name in the upper-right corner of the page
- Select Trash
- Check the box next to the item(s) you wish to recover and click the Restore arrow at the top of the list. See this article for additional information.
- If you are unable to locate the file, contact the University IT Help Desk for additional assistance
How do I transfer my files from Dropbox to Box?
The transfer files from Dropbox to Box tutorial provides these instructions.
What is maintenance like for the Box Service?
- Monthly maintenance is scheduled for 3rd Sunday of the month 12:00am-4:00am PST
- 72 hours of notice will be given prior to planned maintenance
- Box limits scheduled downtime to 4 hours
- Box service is available 99.9% of the time
How is a user's Box access disabled?
Users who no longer have an affiliation with the University will be unable to log in to their Box accounts after:
- Student, Faculty, Staff: Status changes from “Active” in the HR or Student Administration systems
- Other affiliated guests: Guest NetID expires or is deleted
Inactivating and/or Deleting the User’s Box Account is the responsibility of the Group Admin and should adhere to the University’s policies regarding Retirements and Terminations. For more information, the Group Admin should view the Content transfer and Box account termination tutorial or contact the Administrative staff for the user’s department or school for policy details.
Can a user be allowed to continue access?
A Group Admin can allow a user to continue collaborating with a user who is no longer affiliated with the University by:
- Obtaining a new, non-University email address from the user
- Inviting the user to collaborate using the non-University email address
What happens to Box content when an account is deactivated or deleted?
When a Box User account is deactivated, the File and Folders for which the user is sole owner are no longer accessible to other members of the Group or Collaborators.
To allow members and collaborators to see the files and folders again the Group Admin can designate another active user as a Co-Owner.
When a Box User account is deleted Deletion of a Box User Account will permanently remove all the content from Box.
Can I make my collaborators invisible to each other?
If you are the owner or co-owner of the folder, you can hide collaborators so that they cannot see each other, add new collaborators, or assign tasks. Folder owners and co-owners are visible to all collaborators. All other collaborators are displayed as Someone in the collaborator’s username field. To hide collaborators:
1. Click the down arrow on the right side of the folder.
2. Click Folder Settings.
3. In the Invitation Restrictions box, select Hide Collaborators.
4. Click Save Changes at the top.