Following the steps below will allow you to begin using cable TV in your residence hall.
Step 1: Gather the proper equipment
- A digital television/monitor with a QAM (Quadrature Amplitude Modulation) tuner or an external tuner capable of interfacing with a non-QAM TV.
- A coax cable long enough to reach from the coaxial wall jack to your television. (In the residence halls, there should be one coaxial wall jack in each room)
NOTE: Televisions with NTSC or ATSC tuners are not compatible. Our content provider suggests using the Pico VMX1-1 external tuner with non-QAM televisions.
Step 2: Make the connection
- Make sure your television/monitor is plugged into a working electrical outlet.
- Connect and hand tighten one end of the coax cable to the coaxial wall jack.
- Connect and hand tighten the other end of the coax cable to the television or monitor.
Step 3: Scan for channels
- Search through the menu system on your television/monitor for the channel scan/auto scan/etc. selection.
- Perform the channel scan action.
After the scan completes your television/monitor should be able to access the full range of the cable channels (~120 channels). This list is available on the Channel Line-up Page.
If after following steps 1-3 you discover you are not receiving the full range of channels or you are experiencing poor reception, refer to the Cable TV Troubleshooting Guide to double-check your connections and re-scan. If the problem persists visit the Cable TV FAQs page.