Come September 6, the University will be switching its password management tool from LastPass to Keeper. Everyone with an active University/URMC email address is eligible for a free Keeper business account.
Keeper is a zero-knowledge security provider which means that you can safely store and manage your logins and passwords in a secure vault that only you can retrieve. Keeper has a password generator to aid with creating random strong passwords if you wish to use that feature. As you visit apps and websites on your desktops or via your mobile devices, the Keeper browser plug-in or mobile app auto-fills your login credentials.
Starting September 6:
- New password management accounts will be set up in the new Keeper tool.
- Current LastPass users who plan to continue using a password management tool, can sign up for an account on Keeper and move their passwords to the new vault.
- More information will be provided for students who would like to register an account. Please check back for additional updates.
This is a self-service application with the desktop client available from The Software Center. Account setup process is simple to follow:
- To open an account in Keeper, you need your AD username and password.
- Follow instructions to complete setting up your account.
- For current LastPass users, use this guide to import your passwords LastPass Automated Transfer. Password transfers must be completed before Sept 30.
- If you are importing your passwords from other means (CSV file, Excel, etc), follow this guide: Import Methods
- Shared Folders will be transferred by IT. If you have a shared folder, please contact the Help Desk
Assistance and self-help tools
Visit the University IT Keeper page for tutorials, FAQ’s and more information.
There are some useful short video clips from Keeper on how to Get Started.
For additional assistance, contact your Help Desk:
University IT Help Desk
URMC ISD Help Desk
Family Account for Personal Passwords
If you have a University Keeper account for work, you will be eligible for a free family plan for up to five (5) people for your personal passwords. This account will be separate from the University’s account and UnivIT or URMC ISD will not be able to access it. Here’re the instructions on how to set up your family account.